Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

need information on other tests for hep c
Oct 24, 2001

I was tested positive for hep c in dec of 2000. I have had a lot of the symtoms of the virus. The only test that the doctors have done is on my liver count which goes up and down and ebv virus which came back as ebv vca ab igg at 230, ebv nuclear antigen 135, ebv bca ab igm 120 which is high. Really how high is that and is there medication to help it and what other test should I have the doctor run. Liver doctor doesn't want to do the liver bio. yet. Could you give me some suggestions of other test, go back to the doctor on 10/11

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

The tests for HCV are;HCV antibody that only confirms that the patient had infection with the virus;and HCV PCR that confirms if positive that the virus is still alive in your body.The PCR is done only if the HCV antibody is positive.If the test is negative this means,that you had the infection but your body cleared the virus. If the PCR is positive the test can also give the amount of HCV particles in the blood ,and this value is used to follow the response to treatment. To determine the damage to the liver,and the need of treatment,usually a liver biopsy is performed.This is the only test that will show the status of your liver .

Previous
Is a new treatment possible?
Next
Where are you going to publish

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.