The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Giving Blood
Oct 24, 2001

Thanks for this forum. Recently I have given blood do to the the terrible tragic day of 911. So..the test now have come back that I have antibodies & can't give blood. And may in the passed have been explosed to Hepc? So I am concerned . I am healthy & active. Yes my pased has many risk factors.. But I have 2 children & a husband..Do I worry about them? I am 48 years old & need help .. Thank you

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

You need to go to your physician,and have the positive antibody confirmed with the test that detects if the virus is still in your body.This test is called PCR,and is very specific for active infection.The test also can measure the amount of virus in your blood.If the test is positive ,the next step will be to see the severity of damage this virus is causing to your liver.Only 15-20%,of all cases will go on to have severe damage and cirrhosis,after 30-40 years. You need to tell this to your partner ,and also check him for the disease,as it may be trasmitted by sexual contact.You do not need to worry about your children,the disease is only trasmitted by blood contact and sex. There is treatment available now,and we hope will be more effective in the next years.This is not the end of the world.!!Good luck.

Hep B doctors results Vs. Internet research
Que test hacerme para el timpo de hepatitis (espaa)

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint