What are my odds?

About a year ago I started the Intron-A injection combo with ribivirin. After 6 months of treatment, tests revealed I was not responding and I was taken off the medication. My Dr. suggested I begin the new Pegylated interferon-ribivirin combo when it is approved. I have heard the percentages are high for first time users treating HepC with Pegylated Interferon-ribivirin combo..My question: What are the percentages of my succesfully removing the hepC from my system since I have also tried the intron A ribivirin combo without success?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

The response rates to the peg plus ribavirin(which is now available in your pharmacies as of Oct 15 2001) are much higher. In addition, there is some reason to believe that using it on people who have already been treated may actually be slightly higher than those that have never been treated. That is because the combo is really an immunologic boost and not a pure antiviral, so resistance is not really an issue as it is in HIV treatment. The side effects are also much less with the peg, so it should be easier on you as well. Good luck! DTD

You said HCV did NOT affect HIV?
HEP B PANEL