Any benefit to continuing 3TC after 6 years?

Dear Dr. D -- I am HIV+ and have chronic Hep B. My HIV MD has recommended a structured treatment interruption of my HIV drugs which include Epivir. I have been on Epivir for over 6 years. My genotype test shows mutation at M184V. My Liver MD say he sees no reason to continue it. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help. Atlanta

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Atlanta,

When you are in the STI, you can hold the 3TC as well. However, when you go back, I would still include it, because it will control the hepatitis B even if there is HBV resistance present. DTD

dropout rate on new meds
Latency period for the detection of HBV and HCV antibodies