Treat now or wait for Peg?

Dear Dr,

I recently had a liver biopsy that showed stage 2 fibrosis with inflammation. I'm genotype 1a. With all that I have read regarding success with current treatment, do you think it feasible to wait for the approval of Peg interferon or should treatment commence now? I understand that peg interferon may produce a better chance at a sustained response than the current interferons because there are not the peaks and drops of the current treatment. Thank you in advance for you opinion.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

The Peg interferon alone is not quite as good as ribavirin and interferon together. The first peg should be approved late this year or early next year and the second later in 2001. With a grade 2 biopsy you probably could wait for a few months, without serious risk of progression. Good luck! DTD

Sorry to bother you!
Immune after cure