Dealing with which first?

Doctor,

I have recently tested positive (and have had chronic Hep c for a couple of years.) I have elected to deal with the HIV first, then deal with the HEP c in the future -- figuring that the HIV will kill me quicker than the Hep c.

Does this sound reasonable?

Richard

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Richard,

You should deal with both diseases, because without a thorough evaluation it is impossible to say which would kill you first. Generally speaking, after 2-3 months on HIV therapy it would be OK to start HCV therapy. So while you are taking the HIV meds, you should see someone who treats HCV and get evaluated with viral load, genotype, ultrasound and perhaps biopsy. Then you should make a decision about treatment. Good luck! DTD

liver damage detection
Sorry to bother you!