cirrhosis from HBV

My worst fears have been realized! My liver biopsy confirmed that my liver has gone on to the cirrhosis level. My doctor who says he has handled hundreds of biopsies says he's shocked that I still look healthy outwards. He's recommended me to UW for clinical trials if I choose to, or go on his treatment of a 100mg pill, a day of hamirudine (spelling). Thanks for having recommended the biopsy. At least for me to live another day is really cool. This may point to why my ears have been ringing for the past two years. Please advise and also try to estimate my remaining time on this earth. I have a good appetite, no outright symptoms. Thanks Dr. -- Xmas

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Xmas,

Don't be afraid. There is cirrhosis and there is cirrhosis. You obviously are well-compensated and doing well. You are a real testament to the reason we recommend biopsies. I can't recommend any specific course of action, but I would investigate the opportunities at the UW for a trial. There are great new drugs coming for HBV. Lamivudine 100mg is also easy to take and has a chance for a cure even if you have cirrhosis. Good Luck! DTD

hcv hiv+
Questions about Hep B