pakistan 10 and 3 percent HBV and HCV

Hi doctor Dieterich's

In pakistan 10 and 3-7 percent people suffer from HBV and HCV respectively as from research done in Pakistan. For HIV officially 1400 HIV positive are reported. I would ask you as route of transmission is same for all three viruses(HIV,HBV,HCV). Don't you think, it is denial in Pakistan which show this disparity? our neighbour india has 4 million HIV positive persons. Are you aware of disparities in others countries and what you say to health officials to contain HIV and hepatitis infection in Pakistan? My name is Dr Ali Imran, Public health consultant

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Dr Imran,

Hepatitis B and HIV are both classic sexually transmitted diseases and are transmitted in the same way. HIV and HCV are both transmitted parenterally through IV drug use, iatrogenically, through re-used needles, through tattoos, body piercing etc. HCV is not well transmitted sexually. I do agree with you that the HIV numbers do seem quite low considering India's. Maybe the World Health Organization or the International AIDS society could help your country be more realistic. Good luck! DTD

Thalasemia Major with Hep C
Pot Belly