Thalasemia Major with Hep C

I have Hep C and I am married with three children. I am 29 years old and I probably have had the Hep c for about 8-10 years. It is not showing any conditions from it. How long does this disease stay dormant, and should I be put on any drugs now to prevent it from showing its ugly head anytime soon? I know interferon is the drug used, but I also know that it has serious side effects, is there any other drugs to think about? Thank you, Mike L.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Mike,

Every person is different and I can't tell you what you should do. However, if I were you, I would get my wife tested and if she is positive get the kids checked too. Then I would seek out a hepatologist who does a lot of hepatitis C treatment and get evaluated with labs, ultrasound and liver biopsy. After that I would make a decision about treatment in consultation with my MD and my wife. Yes there are side effects of treatment, but there are also effects of not treating too, like liver failure! Good luck! DTD

NEEDLESTICK INCIDENTS
pakistan 10 and 3 percent HBV and HCV