NEEDLESTICK INCIDENTS

WHILE AT A PARTY, I THINK I MAY HAVE BEEN PRICKED BY A NEEDLE. SINCE THEN I HAVE BECOME PARANOID ABOUT NEEDLESTICK INJURIES. WHAT ARE THE RISKS ? DOES THE NEEDLE HAVE TO BE PLUNGED INTO YOU ? WHAT IF THE NEEDLE JUST SCRATCHED THE SURFACE OF YOUR SKIN ?. I'VE READ THAT THE PROBABILITY OF INFECTION FROM A NEEDLESTICK INJURY IS 0.3% HOWEVER I'M STILL REALLY WORRIED. WHILE I REALISE THAT BEING PARANOID ABOUT PEOPLE STABBING YOU , IS LITERALLY IN MY HEAD, IF I KNEW THE RISK ASSOCIATED WITH THESE INJURIES, I'M SURE (OR HOPE) MY WORRIES CAN BE DISMISSED.

THANKS EAP

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear EAP,

You are correct that needlesticks are unlikely to pass on hepatitis and HIV, but it does happen. The only way to dismiss your worries is to get tested for HIV, hepatitis B and C. DTD

Hep C - reinfection - variety of virus
Thalasemia Major with Hep C