HEP C, AIDS & Hemophilia

If I am a hemophiliac and have had AIDS for over 5 years, and was just diagnosed with HEP C, what are my chances for survival? What symptoms will I be feeling? Why would I just find out that I have HEP C now after being positive for over 15-16 years?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

It is really impossible to say what your survival would be. However, most hemophiliacs have hepatitis C from factor that they received before 1991. Sometimes the antibody is negative for a long time while the PCR is positive. Unless someone thought to do a PCR. The most common symptom is no symptom. What you should do now is talk to your MD about treating the HCV, it can be treated and even eradicated! Good luck! DTD

What can I do to protect myself?
very scared!!!!!!!