Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Getting Treatment for Hep C
Oct 8, 2001

I was diagonised with Hep C two years ago but I know I have had it for 23 years after blood transfusion at child birth. I opted to go on on nutitional supplements to help control it and it has worked for 18 months now my liver enzymes have gone from (ast) 82-392 (alt) 42-153 so I will probaly go on the drug therapy.I have read alot about it and just found out about pegylated and interferon would like to know more and if this would be a good treatment for me to go on? Thank You...NRH in Mi

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear NRH, The pegylated interferon with ribavirin is a great advance in treatment options for hepatitis C. The side effects are less, the cure rate is higher and it is more convenient to take only once per week. It is not easy, however, still there are significant side effects but mostly two days per week, not seven. There will not likely be any more advances for the next 3-5 years and there is no guarantee then. Therefore, I agree with you that now is a good time to go for it and get cured! DTD

Previous
Possible Broken Skin Exposure to Semen and Hepatitis Symptoms
Next
New drug for HepC

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.