Getting Treatment for Hep C

I was diagonised with Hep C two years ago but I know I have had it for 23 years after blood transfusion at child birth. I opted to go on on nutitional supplements to help control it and it has worked for 18 months now my liver enzymes have gone from (ast) 82-392 (alt) 42-153 so I will probaly go on the drug therapy.I have read alot about it and just found out about pegylated and interferon would like to know more and if this would be a good treatment for me to go on? Thank You...NRH in Mi

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear NRH, The pegylated interferon with ribavirin is a great advance in treatment options for hepatitis C. The side effects are less, the cure rate is higher and it is more convenient to take only once per week. It is not easy, however, still there are significant side effects but mostly two days per week, not seven. There will not likely be any more advances for the next 3-5 years and there is no guarantee then. Therefore, I agree with you that now is a good time to go for it and get cured! DTD

Possible Broken Skin Exposure to Semen and Hepatitis Symptoms
New drug for HepC