Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Diagnosed HCV at 10 weeks
Oct 8, 2001

Dear Dr. Dieterich, Having adominal pain in the upper right quadrant of my body for two weeks and suspecting acute symptoms, I went to see a doctor. I just got back my HCV test and the test confirmed that I exposed to HCV 10 weeks ago. The doctor I saw gave me something called interferon. Is this the right medicine for acute HCV infection? According to you, the cure rate is nearly 100. I trust you but how long do you think one usually has to be on the medicine until the virus is cleared? Any suggestions please? Thank you so much for helping!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

The treatment for acute hepatitis C is usually with interferon and ribavirin together. I try to treat for about 6 months to get the highest rate. It is not easy, but likely to be very successful. Good luck! DTD

Previous
Stupid question or not?(hep.B)
Next
Possible Broken Skin Exposure to Semen and Hepatitis Symptoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.