Jaundice, hepatitis again

Dear Doctor

Thanks for answering my last question ... I just wonder if you could clarify two things for me: 1] what is the equivalent of 3.0i.u in umol/l ? 2] I understand that clinical jaundice requires a bilirubin level above 3.0. However you mention that in 25 of HCV cases that liver function tests are normal ... would this include the bilirubin level ? 3] Can you have jaundice in the with normal bilirubin levels if you have hepatitis C ?

Thanks ( I am asking these questions as I have tested HCV pos(my viral load is low), and my skin colour - particularly my face and hands have become noticeably yellow... however my total bilirubin level is 25 umol/l and my doctor insists that I cannot be jaundiced .... PLEASE help as I am very distressed as by my 'yellow colour', and would like a second opinion on this one.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

There are no clinical jaundice with levels less than 3mg%.You need to understand that other things can cause yellow discoloration of the skin,as carotene from yellow fruits and vegetables.Whe we talk about normal liver function tests we are talking about ALT.

hep C and pregnancy
hepitis A