taking Viramune with HEP C

I started drug therapy in January. I started on Zerit, Epivir, and Viramune. I went from 400 T-cells to 1000 and 250,000 Viral Load down to undetectable. I also have Hep C, which is also now undetectable. I have stopped drinking and I am taking lots of supplements, Milk Thistle, Ester C, Grape seed Extract, NAC, Olive Leaf Extract, and Liver Toner. I have a very healthy diet and I feel great. I have a concern with Viramune and Hep C. I heard that a new side effect is that it can cause severe liver damage, is this true? One source said that, since I have Hep C, I should stay away from Viramune. What are the latest findings? I am not sure if I should remove this drug from my cocktail.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Viramune can cause hepatitis to be sure, but usually in the first 12 weeks of treatment and almost always in the first 4 weeks. If you are tolerating it now, it is unlikely that you will have any problems with it. In addition, you said the HCV is undectable so that may not be a problem either. Stay with the Viramune and the other drugs and have your MD monitor your liver and hepatitis C status. Keep up the good work! DTD

Health risk of vaccination on already immunised person
En espaol