CONCERN ABOUT HEPATITIS C

DEAR DOCTOR i am hiv for the last 20 years, i am taking epivir,viracept and ziagen i also take 1 fansidar once a week , my viral load is <50 copies and my cd4 count is 350 i am concerned about the damage this treatment can do to my liver as i am also hepatitis c + got 65 gpt 71 fal 141 ggt 194 my question is do you think i should look for treatment regarding hepatitis c my doctor sugested i should wait a couple of yeas before starting any treatment. thanks for cooperation kindest regard from spain

Response from Dr. Dieterich

The answer to your question lies in your liver! You need to have a liver biopsy to evaluate the state of fibrosis. Based on that your doctor and you should make the decision to treat the hepatitis C. No guessing! The low level of enzymes do not mean anything! The approval of pegylated interferon in the US anyway, I don't know for sure about Spain, but I suspect that peg is already approved, means that very effective treatment is available. There is no reason to wait, that I can see. Find out! DTD

I don't know what to do
Elevated Liver Enzymes II