Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

tested +forHepC while pregnant
Aug 26, 2001

I found-out while I was pregnant,that I had HepC,and I'm scary, that my 5week old son could have it. What kinds of test can I have ran, and what kinds of precaution should I take. I would like to go back to work, but I'm arfaid, that no daycare will take him. Despartly, need help.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

First,you do not specify if you had the routine antibody test or if you got the confirmation.If it was the first,you should confirm it ,you still can be negative.Second,if you are HCV,the possibility of the baby to have been infected during delivery is,low (less5%),unless you are also HIV where it doubles.You will need to check the baby after 6 months and,if negative ,1 year.The baby cannot trasmit this to anybody, unless blood from the baby (if positive),enters in contact with an open wound or laceration.You can see that the risks for the day care people are minimal.Go to your doctor, and have the tests.If you are unlucky and both you and the baby are positive,usually the hepatitis in the infants is very mild ,and there is treatment available for you.Good luck.

Previous
Confused over antibodies
Next
caregiver/ should-shouldn't take a possile hepC baby

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.