Any hope for new treatment for Hepatitis C ?

Im a swedish nurse with Hepatit C and Im a non responder to both monoterapy with Interferon and combination terapy with Peg-Interferon and Ribaverin. I have high titres of virus genotype 1 and I have probably had it for about 20 years. Biopsis showes bad activity for my liver (5 years ago stadium 1 and last year stadium 4). Are there any hope for a new and better cure soon? / Anki

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

The best data for treatment in non-responders is with Pegasys and ribavirin.There are studies with early data, with end of treatment responses over 40%.There is evidence with Pegasys that the majority of early responders, go on to have a sustained response,so we hope the the response rate will be around that.The other thing you should consider is a more prolongued treatment(18months) or maintenance treatment, to decrease the progression of the disease. The good news for you, is that Pegasys is to be aproved for use in Sweden very soon,so contact your physician to consider treatment as soon it is available.Good Luck!

Pegasys
Stress & Hepc