Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HCV treatment side effects
Aug 26, 2001

I read in the forum that a cure was available for HCV but that it is not 100 effective and alot of people find it hard to take the treatment. Can you be more specific about this treatment and the side effects? I am positive and want to go into treatment but I am not familiar with my options. Is there a web site that you would recommend that I can look up HCV on? Thank You.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

Contrary to other similar viruses, HCV,can be cured.The available treatments are:Rebetron,36% response rate overall,but only 25%,in Genotype 1;Peg-Intron and Ribavirin,around 50%;and a product that is pending aproval from FDA,Pegasys and Ribavirin,with 57%.The numbers of Pegasys are in data reported as intention to treat ,and when the data of the patients that received treatment is examined, the number increases to around 65%.with Pegasys also a higher numbersof patients with genotype 1 and cirrhotics respond. Around 30% of cases using Ribavirin, can have significant anemia.The most common side effects of interferon are;depression,fatigue,mialgias and neutropenia.Of all Pegasys seems to be the better tolerated.You need to know, that the most important factor during treatment is the close follow up,to manage the side effects,and allow you to complete the treatment.

Previous
Vaccine B given at the CORRECT time.
Next
Pegasys

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.