special treatment hiv/hcv co infection

For 2 years I have been awaiting treatment. Most GI docctors wont take my case. I have been unable to get a colonoscopy as no one seems to know how to put me under. I got very ill from my first attempt on rebetron. and interferon. Ihad an acute episode of Hepatitis becoming jaundice. Both my hiv and hcv Drs told me to sstop the meds. My Hiv is under 50 copies per ml. I need to know what is so different about co infecte people. Any help would be appreciated.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

I am sorry you are having so much problems because your coinfection status.That is a problem for many patients.You need to make an effort to find a physician that is willing and capable of treating you.Overall, coinfected patients with more than 100 cd4,can be treated for HCV.They have more infections in therapy ,and in my opinion ,fare worse with Rebetron,both in response and in tolerability. We are doing some clinical studies in coinfected patients,with peg-interferon alfa 2a(Pegasys),and RBV and this combination is much better tolerated.We are also hopeful about much better responses with this combo. Patients with coinfection ,have a more agressive course of HCV,so treatment is very important.It is more difficult to treat HIV patients also,because the added toxicity of HAART,and drug interactions.

Acute or Chronic
Vaccine B given at the CORRECT time.