Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

special treatment hiv/hcv co infection
Aug 26, 2001

For 2 years I have been awaiting treatment. Most GI docctors wont take my case. I have been unable to get a colonoscopy as no one seems to know how to put me under. I got very ill from my first attempt on rebetron. and interferon. Ihad an acute episode of Hepatitis becoming jaundice. Both my hiv and hcv Drs told me to sstop the meds. My Hiv is under 50 copies per ml. I need to know what is so different about co infecte people. Any help would be appreciated.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

I am sorry you are having so much problems because your coinfection status.That is a problem for many patients.You need to make an effort to find a physician that is willing and capable of treating you.Overall, coinfected patients with more than 100 cd4,can be treated for HCV.They have more infections in therapy ,and in my opinion ,fare worse with Rebetron,both in response and in tolerability. We are doing some clinical studies in coinfected patients,with peg-interferon alfa 2a(Pegasys),and RBV and this combination is much better tolerated.We are also hopeful about much better responses with this combo. Patients with coinfection ,have a more agressive course of HCV,so treatment is very important.It is more difficult to treat HIV patients also,because the added toxicity of HAART,and drug interactions.

Previous
Acute or Chronic
Next
Vaccine B given at the CORRECT time.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.