Acute or Chronic

I have been diagnosed with Hepatitis C. How can I know if my hepatitis C was acute and not chronic before my treatment started?

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

The majority of cases diagnosed as HCV are chronic because they are diagnosed more than 6 months after infection.It is very rare to see an acute Hepatitis C, with enzyme elevations over 1000,jaundice and the acute disease symptoms.This occurs, from 2-8 weeks after infection, and is usually not diagnosed in that moment.The acute fase is usually without jaundice and confused with other diseases.When patients are diagnosed by serologic tests,usually the patients are asymptomatic,and it takes more than 6 months to have positive serology in all cases.

Sugerencias de un Hispano
special treatment hiv/hcv co infection