genotype 1a, and 1b

I was reading your response to another persons question and you mentioned that since he had Hep C type 1 he was a good candidate for peg and you infered that this genotype is not the bad one, when in fact genotype 1a, and 1b are the most resistant to treatment, could you please clarify? I am genotype 1b and am anxiously awaiting Peg combo therapy. Thanks for the forum! ed

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

No ,I meant to say that genotypes 1 ,should use pegylated combinations,as they are more difficult to treat,and respond poorly to Rebetron.(25% or less).The data reported in DDW with Pegasys and RBV is more encouraging for this genotype,in naive patients,response around 40%.

Timing for conclusive test
Sugerencias de un Hispano