Whats going on in reserche in Hepatit C treatment?

I have been treated two times for Hepatit C. Once with Introna and once with PegIntrona + Rebetol without responce. I have high titres of virus genotype 1. I have probably had the virus in about 20 years and my liver starts to be damaged. What hope do I have of a treatment working? Are there something new coming up?

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

I think you mean to say that you had treatment with monotherapy (Intron) and combination treatment (Intron and Rebetol).If you already received treatment with pegylated interferons and Rebetol (Ribavirin);it would be important to see for how long.There is recent data that is still very early, of treatment of Rebetron non responders with Peg-interferon alfa 2a(Pegasys ) and RBV ,that suggest that around 40% of cases may respond.The other possiblility is that difficult to treat populations as non-responders ,cirrhotics,high viral load, may need longer period of treatment.It is to early to say if other drugs may be effective,as we do not think new drugs clinical studies will be in place in the next years. You need to remember though ,that the main purpose of tratment is to preserve your hepatic function and to decrease the progression to end stage liver disease.This benefit you get from interferon treatment, even in non responders,by improvement in hepatic histology.

famliy member has hep c
Which Hepatitis?