Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

famliy member has hep c
Aug 25, 2001

My sister-in-law has HepC, had she was pregant when she found-out, and there is a possiblity, that her son could have it. My question is that I watch him during the day, I would like to know, some of the risk, that I am taking, I also have a child og my own. The doctor, of the son, is preaty sure, he doesn't have it, but they can't test until he is 9months old. We also take alot of precaution, but you just never can tell. Please help me better understand about this.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

The risk of infection to the baby during delivery is low in non HIV parents;probably less than 5%.When babies are infected they usually have a very benign hepatitis.The only risk that you may have is from blood contact.This means, that the only possible way this may happen, is if blood from the baby is in contact with an open wound or laceration.It is not trasmitted with routine contact.You and your family have nothing to be afraid from taking care of the baby.

Previous
Hep B Test Result Dilemma
Next
Whats going on in reserche in Hepatit C treatment?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.