famliy member has hep c

My sister-in-law has HepC, had she was pregant when she found-out, and there is a possiblity, that her son could have it. My question is that I watch him during the day, I would like to know, some of the risk, that I am taking, I also have a child og my own. The doctor, of the son, is preaty sure, he doesn't have it, but they can't test until he is 9months old. We also take alot of precaution, but you just never can tell. Please help me better understand about this.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

The risk of infection to the baby during delivery is low in non HIV parents;probably less than 5%.When babies are infected they usually have a very benign hepatitis.The only risk that you may have is from blood contact.This means, that the only possible way this may happen, is if blood from the baby is in contact with an open wound or laceration.It is not trasmitted with routine contact.You and your family have nothing to be afraid from taking care of the baby.

Hep B Test Result Dilemma
Whats going on in reserche in Hepatit C treatment?