What is risk of Hep C after stick with solid pin

I am a surgeon who was stuck by a solid pin after it passed through the leg of a man with chronic active disease HCV. The pin went through two gloves and nicked my skin without embedding deeply. I bled a drop, but then I squeezed blood out and washed with betadine and chlorhexidine immediately. What is my risk and your advice? (started HIV prophylaxis and tested him) Thanks

Response from Dr. Dieterich

The risk is still low with a solid object. It is about .3% or so. I would recommend testing yourself with AST and ALT and HCV PCR at 4 weeks and 8 weeks and add HCV antibody at 12 and 24 weeks. If you do become HCV positive by PCR, I would confirm it with a follow up a week or so later. Then you have to make a decision about treatment. If you treat the acute infection, the cure rate is almost 100%. If you wait and watch, you have about a 15% chance of clearing the virus on your own. It is a low risk exposure, not being a hollow bore needle. Good luck! DTD

Hep B Results
Hep B Test Result Dilemma