Hep C in child bearing years

I work in a male prison and an inmate posed this question to me. He wanted to know if he would be able to father a child without possible transmission of his HCV to the child or childs mother? I was unsure with all the recent breakthroughs in IVF techniques. We will be awaitnig your answer, thank you for this site.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There are several ways to go about this. HCV is actually not well transmitted sexually through heterosexual vaginal intercourse. So if your man is not HIV infected as well, there is little risk of HCV infection in getting a woman pregnant. If he is HIV infected as well, then IVF would be required to ensure safety for the woman. The other alternative is to cure his hepatitis C with peg and ribavirin now while he is in prison. Wait 6 months after stoping ribavirin, because of it's effect on fetuses and then father the child. DTD

HIV and Hepatitis B and C Positive
Fatty Liver High Triglycerides- WORRY???