Using the DNA BY PCR for hiv testing

I heard the dna by pcr when used for HIV testing can produce a false positive result. What is this rate, and what is the rate for a false negative for this test. What centers if any use this for general screening and early detection for hiv?

Thanks - Jaime

Response from Dr. Dieterich

All PCR's can yield false positive results occaisonally. Usually less than 1% of the time. The false negative is even less common and probably means the specimen was mishandled. Generally, I would recommend two positives before beginning treatment for either HIV or HCV. DTD

HCV treatment
E Antibody