Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please explain the terminology
Aug 2, 2001

Dear Doctor Douglas,

My Doctor recently conducted a Hep B panel and said he got confusing results and would like me to retake the test in a month. He only told me that I have HBsAg positive and IgG positive, negative for Surface Antigens and Negative for IgM. I do not understand the terminology and I didn't feel confident that he was sure of the results either, or I got the impression he didn't want to scare me by saying I was a chronic carrier. What is your opinion to these results? I would greatly appreciate your insight.

Thanks from worried.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Hepatitis B testing confuses a lot of doctors as well as patients. If the IgM was negative, it means you don't have the acute infection. The other results are contradictory. In general the asymptomatic carrier will have Surface antigen, no Surface antibody. The e antigen should be negative and the e antibody positive and HBV DNA negative. The bottom line here is the virus, so if you are confused ask for HBV DNA by PCR. If it is over 250,000 copies, then you have active hepatitis B. Good luck! DTD

Previous
Nervous
Next
Vaccination Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.