False positive?

My dilemna is this...Several months ago my wife and I were talking about hepatitis. I mentioned to her that 32 years ago I vaguley remember a doctor and I having a conversation regarding chronic hepatitis (one of my friends was infected with it). This a was a very long time ago and to be honest with everybody here I really can't remember a damn thing we were talking about (I was only 16 back then, now I am 49). I am assuming if the talk was serious for eg. if I was told I had cancer, lukemea, or any other fatal disease there is no way in hell I would ever forget that. Since then I have had a 1st wife with a child, and a number of sexual partners between. Absolutely everybody is living a healthy life, of this i am 100 certain. Nobody has been infected with hepatitis of any kind!

Anyways my wife and i decided to check for this disease and I went ahead and took a full hepatitis blood test, A, B and C. Within a few days i got my results and shock of all shocks i was flattened when the results came back positive for Hep C antibodys. My wife and I have been together for 15 years and have had a very stimulating sex life to say the least. We have had sex with and without condoms all this time. Anyways she flipped out which i don't blame her for one bit and took the hep test and a multitude of other tests as well. since then My doctor has checked me for liver damage and has found none. I have a very healthy liver.

A few days ago my wife got her results back and everything came back negative. I was so overjoyed with this that I started hugging her, kissing her swinging her in my arms and ready to celebrate her results when I noticed a very cold shoulder had set in. Needless to say she is terrified of me now (can't say i blame her) and our lives have become a living hell this past week.

I'm wondering if you could make any sense of my sitiuation regarding this matter? i am totally stumped and I see our relationship being flushed the toilet unless somthing gets done soon. I am already sleeping in the spare room bacause I don't want to frighten her any more then she already is.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

The possibility of sexual trasmission of HCV in monogamous relationships is low.I have trated hundreds of patients with HCV in the last 6 years,and I have not found a single partner positive,unless the couple shared other risk factors as IV drug use, for example. After 15 years i,t will be improbable,that you could infect her now.You should keep your razor separate but you can continue to have sex. The big problem with the couples, is not only the concern about the risk,because common sense will tell your HCV negative wife, that she will have no more risk in the future than in the past.Sometimes the concern is regarding the conduct of the infected partner,that caused the problem. You should explain to your wife,that your infection occured many years ago,before your marriage.You are very lucky to have no significant disease,and you both should put to rest this issue.Good luck!!

sewage life
I'M SCARED