Hep B Results

After a severe bout with Hep B, My results after one year are as follows: e antibody positive (Showed after 6 mo), e antigen neg, Surface antigen negative (disappeared after 1 year), Surface Antibody still negative...My recovery has been slow, but the results are indicative of recovery even though I do not have the surface antibody yet. My Doc ordered DNA by PCR for Hep B. All enzymes are normal. What are the chances of antibody showing up? It took me three months to be able to go back to work after being stricken. He wants to do a biopsy to determine amount of damage..I want to wait antoher 3 months and test for surface antibodies again...What do you think?

Slow Recoverer

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

You did not offer information about what treatment you received.I think that if you converted to e antibody,and also cleared the surface antigen you should be PCR negative ,and you obtained the benefit of the treatment:decrease infectivity and prevent further damage to your liver,and the sequelae of cirrhosis and end stage liver disease. HBsAb seroconversion is only achieved in a minority of cases and may take a while after treatment is completed. I agree with you, in that you should wait 6-12 months to have another biopsy to document the changes in histology and asses the improvememt with treatment. Be happy,you did great.!!

HEPATITISC
Am I naive?