Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Confusing Information
May 30, 2001

I had what I thought was a low risk encounter with a sex worker back in Febuary and need your advice on exactly how low it was to try and ease my mind and stomach? I had oral sex preformned on me for about 30 seconds when I got nervous and did not want her to continue. I finished myself off by my hand. I did not notice any blood on myself or my hand when I cleaned up. I went home and checked my penis for any cuts or scratches and found none. So I felt OK. I started stressing out and the more I read up on HIV,Hepatitis and STD's the more I got scared. At the 3 month mark I took a Home HIV test and it was Negative. However In some areas of this web site it says that as long as there was no broken skin I was safe but I have read on other web sites that even saliva coming in contact with the head of my penis is of great risk for Hepatitis. The more I read the more upset my stomach became, I've lost my appetite and have starting questioning every little symptom trying to rack my brain if they fit into the Hepatitis symptoms. Which information is correct? Confused and scared.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Hepatitis A is only transmitted from fecal oral sexual contact. Hepatitis C is very rarely transmitted sexually and blood to blood contact would need to happen i.e. cuts that are bleeding on both partners. Hepatitis B is more easily transmitted sexually, but would almost certainly have to involve intercourse either anal or vaginal. In addition you can get vaccinated for both hepatitis A and B with one combination vaccine! Be safe! DTD

Previous
another CCR5 question
Next
follow up question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.