Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HCV curable?
May 30, 2001

You say that HCV is "curable." My doctor tells me it is not, but that it is manageable. Can you explain what you mean - how it can be cured, particularly in someone who is also HIV+. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Unlike HIV and HBV, HCV does not integrate itself into the genome, your DNA. Therefore it is indeed eradicable or curable. We now have data out 10 years from the original patients treated with interferon. They are still HCV PCR negative in the blood. They are still HCV PCR negative in the liver. Finally, even better, all the liver biopsy changes that they had originally, were all resolved 10 years later and they had totally normal livers! If that is not cured, I don't know what is! Now of course it is not possible to cure everyone, but with the new pegylated interferons plus ribavirin, the "cure" rate is over 50% for the first treatment. Our group in New York has successfull eradicated HCV in over 10 HIV patients, we are submitting the paper this week. It can be done! Good luck! DTD

Previous
Doctor Clueless About HBV PCR
Next
another CCR5 question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.