Symptoms of hepatitis infection?

My recent blood test indicated results for AST 64 (normal up to 37 for men) and ALT 108 (normal up to 42 for men) with all other indicators in the normal range (except for Bilirubin which keep on high spots since my childhood).

My doctor has referred to a possibility of hepatitis infection , however, my marker test for hepatitis will be completed not earlier than in 10 days.

I am very worried about being infected with B or C type. Generally I feel great, physically OK, no pain, no problems, however I took an antibiotic 1,5 months ago which doctors say has a hepatotoxic consequences (it's called Geomycin). Other doctors feel that it is not due to any prescribed medicin since effects keep showing now too long (!?).

Please help me feel better. I am afraid of hepatitis and have heard that there is no cure of it and that people die. Is it possible? ....Thanks alot!

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

You have increased hepatic tests called transaminases.Inccreased AST and ALT can be seeen in many diseases ,both primary and secondary,that affect the liver.Unfortunately ,I have to tell you that in many cases, viral hepatitis B or C,both acute ,and chronic can be completely asymptomatic. It is completely untrue however,that Hepatitis B or C have no cure.!!!At this point in time we have therapies that can cure HCV in adherent patients in over 60% of cases.Moretheless,no more of 15% of all cases can expect severe liver damage. HBV is also treatable with IFN and Epivir,and a vaccine to prevent infection is available. Do not worry so much,wait for your tests,and go for treatment,if you need it .Still, the cause of your tests elevation can be the antibiotics or other viral infection.

Hepatitus C
Too soon to show up?