Hepatitus C

On a camping trip I helped my father at the RV dump sight. I held the tube that dumps the waste water etc. I didn't notice during this that the ground was wet (or appeared that something had been washed over it) until I put the tube up. We didn't wet the ground so I have to assume that the person before us did. After noticing I went to the faucet and run the water over my hands vigorously because there was no soap available. I dried my hands off and went on. Later on it crossed my mind it might not just have been water but lord knows something else. My question is what are the possibilities of transmission of Hep A or C? I know that HIV has to go from one person to the other rather quickly. Once I got home I went in washed my hands to eat. But before that I touched my clothes and other objects. My thought is that it would very remote in this incident but it would be nice to be reassured?? Your responce would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

If there was a possibility of fecal material in the waste ,and you had contact with your hands,there is possible oral ingestion of any pathogen.Hepatitis A is trasmitted by this oral -fecal route.You did well to wash at the time and before eating.Ussually clinical hepatitis occurs between 1-4 weeks after infection,is mild andresolved withot sequela in the vast majority of cases. The new cases are decreasing in the U.S.,and are more common in the Texas-Mexico border.

I'M A LITTLE UPSET WITH YOU
Symptoms of hepatitis infection?