HEPC

I am 27 years old, and have been divorced for 1 1/2 years now. I was tested for hepC several years ago,(aprox5 yrs), my test was positive.My husband had hepC and never told me. Now he is having lots of problems with his hepC. I was wondering, can hepC turn into AIDS? I have heard that it could in the past. Also, I have 2 small children. When I went in to have them, they done blood work, the blood work said I was hepC negative. I am confused. It doesn`t go away does it? And last question, should I have my children tested , if I was infected before they were born? Thank you soo much, Signed Concerned.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

Hepatitis C is a different virus from the HIV or aids virus.None of these viruses, can change into the other.Many patients are confused, because both viruses can coexist, in a single patient. The test that you most likely had, was the HCV antibody test.If it is positive,it means that you were infected with the virus,but you will need another test to check if you cleared the virus or not. If you were negative when you had your children,you did not had any possibility of transmission of HCV to them.Transmission during delivery can occur in 8-15% of HCV + cases. You should discuss with your doctor all this ,and have the HCV (PCR) test to exclude active disease,and any other sexually trasmitted diseases.

Hepitis C
I'M A LITTLE UPSET WITH YOU