Penazine for Hep C?

I am looking for information on the new drug I heard about on the news the other night, something like Penazine for treating Hepatitis C....I am not real sure about the spelling of the medication, but I heard it was finally released for use and wanted to check with my doctor about it. Do you have any information on this including what kind of side effects it has. Thanks for your help!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

You got me on that one. The only drugs approved for treatment of Hepatitis C are interferon and ribavirin. The pegylated forms of interferon should be available in about a year or less and there is a new concept called histamine which is in clinical trials to be used with interferon. Maybe you heard some press about the pegylate interferons whose trade names are Pegasys and PegIntron. Treatment of hepatitis C is undergoing radical changes for the better now and now is the time to be treated, if you have it.DTD

Does Hepatitis C have symptoms?
Hepatitis C and eradication