May 17, 2001
my son has just been diagnosed with hepitis c. is that fatal? what is the cure? will he die? where did he get it from?
Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres
Hepatitis C,is very common, and more than 4 million americans are positive.It will progress to advanced liver disease in about 30% of all cases, and can cause cirrhosis, liver failure and hepatocellular carcinoma in 15%.There are new treatment alternatives that can cure the disease in up to more than 60% of cases.The disease is contracted by exposure to positive blood.This may occur by sharing needles,sexual contact,tattoos,piercing etc.In around 25% of all cases the risk factor is unknown.
HIV & E-Panel
- Itchy Red Spots After Receiving Head Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Red Spots After Vaginal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Loose Stool After Anal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- White Discharge After Insertive Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Can You Use Triple Antibiotic Ointment On Genital Warts?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.