For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Hep D Test came back positive

I recently got blood work back stating that I had a positive test for Hep D. I know this virus needs Hep B to replicate. I tested positive for Hep B when I found out I was HIV positive 15 years ago. All my liver tests have been normal to this point. I am on Ziagen, 3TC, and D4T and have been undetectable for over 6 months on this combo and cd4s were 720 at last count. When I tested positive for Hep B I was told there was nothing to worry about (of course that was 15 years ago). Now that I've tested positive for Hep D I'm worried. Is there anything I should be monitoring, or further testing I should have? I don't ever remember having symptoms of Hep B.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Scott,

Testing positive for antibodies to hep B and delta hepatitis is a lot different than testing positive for the viruses. These are not like HIV and if you have certain kinds of antibodies you are immune and not infected. Signs of infection are Hepatitis B Surface Antigen (HBSAg), Hepatitis B e Antigen (HBeAg), and HBV DNA. Signs past infection are HBSAb (surface antibody) or the vaccine if that's all you have, HBCAb (core antibody) and HBeAb or e antibody. Delta can be measure by antigen or antibody. If you have the antibody you are immune. If you have the antigen you have the virus. On the other hand if you do have hep B the ziagen and the 3TC will be suppressing it and therefore the delta would be suppressed too. If you do have hep B you should have an ultrasound of the liver and an alfa feto protein yearly to check for liver cancer. Good Luck! DTD

Drug combo choice
Does Hepatitis C have symptoms?