ringing in ears for two years

I'm HIV and HEP C positive. I've been for nearly 9 years now. I've never been on formal medication prescribed by Doctors. But I have been treating myself with good food and vitamins. Vitamins, on and off. I have not had a serious down day. But I do have the 'not feeling well syndrome' sometimes. My main problem now is ringing in the ears. It has been ringing for two years now. I know it is due to the infection but would you recommend any treatment? My Doc also says I should have a liver biopsy to determine liver damage but he says I have the Delta agent and healing is impossible. So is it necessary to take this biopsy with its dangers of internal bleeding? Thanks for all yr doing but please, please find a CURE. Oh, I also take at least 4 glasses of wine every weekend. A big reduction from my everyday drinking habit. 'Am I sending myself to the grave quickly by doing this? God bless. Xmas

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Xmas

The not feeling well could certainly be caused by the two viruses you have and treating either one or both could alleviate that. The ringing in your ears may be due to ear infections and should be checked out by a specialist. There are other things that can cause this too, that are more serious!

The delta agent does make hepatitis B more difficult to treat, but not impossible. It is important to find out how much damage the virus and the alcohol have done to your liver over the past years and the liver biopsy is the only way to find out. The risk of bleeding is less than 1/1000, and the information provided is invaluable. Generally speaking an occasional glass of wine is not terrible for your liver, but without a biopsy, I would hesitate to have any alcohol if I were you! DTD

how is hepatitis contracted
HCV + HIV and Decompensation