HCV & HIV --- Decompensation

Dear Doctor,

My friend found out in 1996 that he had HCV + HIV. At that time they told him there was nothing they could do about the HCV since his CD4 was <200. Well, about 1 year ago his liver decompensated. What can he do??

Response from Dr. Dieterich

While it is not ideal to treat hepatitis C in someone with decompensated cirrhosis, it can be worth a try in some people, who are otherwise healthy. Low dose interferon is also being studied in HIV negative people with cirrhosis, to palliate the disease. I personally don't think that t cells should have anything to do with the decision to treat or not. With lower T cells the chance at a cure is less, but the other good things that happen to the liver still happen, like lower fibrosis scores, reduced risk of hepatoma etc. DTD

Ribavirin and AZT/D4T
when should I start HCV treatment?