Ribavirin and AZT/D4T

Hello Doctor,

I heard that Ribavirin cancels out AZT and also D4T. The studies to this topic are all "in vitro". What really happens in case you take a HIV-Combo with AZT or D4T and INF+Riba? In an small study there where no negative effects seen, but could that be due to the INF that has also an effect on HIV? I am co-infected with HCV and HIV and I want to start with PEG-INF and Riba. I am on D4T,DDI,3TC and Indinavir since three years (VL 1500,CD4 600).

Does Riba really take out AZT/D4T? Or does it make these drugs less working? Is there a difference between AZT/Riba and D4T/Riba?

thank you in advance.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There have several small lab studies suggesting that ribavirin might compete for phosphorylation with AZT and D4T. At our site, at Johns Hopkins, in France and Spain, we now have data on over 100 people treated with ribavirin and despite taking AZT or D4T there have been no significant changes in HIV RNA. I would encourage you to be treated for both diseases and watch the levels carefully. DTD

Co-infected, Quantitative HCV-RNA has increased with HAART
HCV & HIV --- Decompensation