Co-infected, Quantitative HCV-RNA has increased with HAART

I'm coinfected with HCV. I started haart three months ago Viracept, Epivir, Zerit) with 149 CD4 and VL 100.000. After two months I had 367 CD4 and VL 507. At the same time my AST,ALT and GGT have risen from normal values (0-40) to 230(ALT), 80(AST) and 60(GGT). Quantitative HCV-RNA has increased from 530.000 to 1.630.000 copies. Is this common in coinfected patients? Is this temporary? And if is temporary, how much it takes to return to lower values? Thank you

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Coinfected,

Your issues are more common than not. The HCV viral load and the ALT often rise in the first few months of HIV therapy due to immune reconstitution. This is usually a temporary phenomenon and should return to normal in 3-6 months. However you should consider treatment for the hepatitis C regardless of the enzymes and HCV level. DTD

Replication
Ribavirin and AZT/D4T