Detection of Hep C

Is it possible for Hep C to be dormant and not show up on previous blood tests and then all of a sudden have a raised liver enzyme? I had a normal blood test about a year before the raised liver enzyme test. I had no transfusions or intravenous use of needles, but my spouse was having an affair in that interim period. Is it possible it was sexually transmitted to me since I did not have these enzymes prior?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

It is possible to transmit hepatitis C sexually, but it is rare. The enzymes are a very unreliable test and both of you should have a quantitative PCR test of the virus to be certain of the diagnosis. If you have it, you should be seen by an experienced treater of hepatitis and evaluated for therapy! DTD

alcohol abuse