diagnosed w/hep C

Happy you're here. I just got a positive hep C result.

I suspect hiv too.

I know infection occurred (through needle sharing ) 11 years ago.

I never knew what hep c was until now. I will continue to learn more so I can try to keep up w/ treatment (which i have not started)

I was tested 3 times over the years for hiv (the last time being 3 years ago)I know hep c and hiv are likely partners if you're infected through needles. I never tested positive for hiv. Should i re-test?

Why don't clinics test for both? Or suggest that you go for hep C testing......if it's a money thing?

Symptoms, when they occur are similar. Thank you very much. i am glad for somewhere to ask.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I am glad you are interested. The US Public Health Service has recommended that all HIV positive people be tested for HCV. Anyone with a risk for either disease should be tested for both. If you have not had any further risk behaviour since your last test you may not have HIV, however I would always recommend testing to be certain. Good Luck! DTD

How long will the liver stay healthy
What is safe?