questions on hepatitis c

one of my brothers has this sickness and we are very concerned. we don't understand how this affects his body nor do we know if it can be treated. My brother is very sick and we do know his liver has been damaged already. Please explain this sickness to me so I can pass it on to my Mom also my sister and brothers. My brother just tells me that he will not come around us because he is afraid he will give it to us..........

please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Justcuz,

Hepatitis C is a serious disease that can cause liver failure and is the leading cause of transplants in the US. It can not only be treated, it can be cured! Your brother should see an experienced hepatitis treater/liver specialist. It is really only transmitted by blood, very rarely sexually. He is no danger to you as long as you don't come into contact with his blood. Don't share razors or toothbrushes with him, but otherwise contact is safe. Encourage him to seek help! DTD

Liver enzymes, HepB, HIV
Hepatitis affecting AIDS