The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Acquiring Hepatitis and detecting it???
Jun 29, 2000


I have a few questions for you:

1- How long after an incident would HepB and/or HepC be detectable thru antibody testing? I understand most sites recommend 6 months -- any chances for it to take longer and how common is that?

2- Some organizations put the number of people who have come in contact of HepB (i.e HBsAg neg and AntiHBs pos)at as high as 2 Billion Worldwide. My question is: Could a mother who is (HBsAg - and AntiHBs +), pass on the antibodies to the child. This might explain such a high number?

3- Why such high numbers for "past" infected people with HB (i.e not carriers), and BTW the numbers in the US seem to be around 5% of the population... why would the red cross refuse blood in the case of (AntiHBc +, AnitHBs +, HbsAg-; meaning past infection)...wouldn't this mean refusing a LOT of blood for no apparent danger?

Thank You very much for your help.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Antibodies appear anywhere from 3-6 months after infection. If you want to know sooner, PCR would be positive 2-4 weeks after infection.

Mothers do pass on antibodies to their children, but they last only about a year, so that would not explain large numbers of SAb + people. Most people (85%) who get HBV recover. That is what is probably responsible.

Before there was hepatitis C testing, the blood banks used surrogate markers for HCV and HBCAb and ALT elevation were the ones. Yes, this does take a lot of blood out of the circulation. DTD

HIV and chronic HBV

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint