I Have Both !!

I have chronic Hep C and HIV and have elected to get my HIV under control first (figuring that the HIV will kill me before Hep C.) Is this wise ? or should I be tackling both at once? I am new to all of this

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Both,

You are not alone. About 30-40% of all HIV patients are HCV infected. Once you are on the HIV meds for several months it is OK to start treating the HCV. Many people with HIV are dying of their liver disease because they have deferred treating their HCV. If I were you I would start getting the HCV evaluated by a qualified treater and see if you are eligible for treatment. Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

Hepatitis C
questions