Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep B & HIV
Jul 13, 2000

Dear Dr. I have 4 questions: 1. I was tested as a Hep B carrier 8 years ago. what is the difference between Carrier & tested positive for Hep B? 2. I have NO clue how I got the Hep B - even you indicated that it has to be via sexual contact. Are there other means that Hep. B can be transmitted? My brother-in-law is a health worker (physician) & he also is Hep. B carrier. 3. Even I was tested as a carrier long time ago, my family doctor always told me to 'eat right' & 'sleep well' but declined to give me medication. Has she done me justice since you indicated that Hep. B can be cured? 4. I recently had unsafe intercourse (no condom) with a sex worker which lasted less than 2 minutes & experienced most of the symptoms of HIV & worried to death. the incident took place at the end of 4/00. the first HIV blood test came back negative, not surprisingly, & I'm scheduled to have another one done at the end of 7/00. When the AIDS help line at the local agency heard that I am a Hep. B carrier, they all acted as if I'm as good as dead. what is the hope for people co-infected with both HIV & Hep. B? I know that AZT is a death pill for liver because it is so toxic. thank you Sir for your help. Mike

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Mike,

First of all AZT is not a death pill; it is OK for the liver, a lot safer than many others. It is not clear what your HBV status is. You should see a hepatologist. Most people consider you an asymptomatic carrier if you have HBsuface Antigen. If you also have e antigen you are probably contagious and have active viral replication. If you have e antibody you are unlikely to be infectious. However the best test is of course DNA by PCR, which you can do for HIV as well. You should see someone who has experience with HBV treatment. Good Luck! Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

Previous
Is there any possibility of a cure for HIV anytime?
Next
Hep C and Liver Cirrhosis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.