Is there any possibility of a cure for HIV anytime?

My boyfriend is HIV positive and I am not. I really love him and the thought of losing him to this disease is so hard on me and him both. I was just wondering if you have any idea if there will be a cure anytime soon? Has medical science even came close yet?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There is no immediate chance of a cure for HIV on the horizon. It is theoretically possible, but not very soon. However, the good news is that if his CD4 cells are over 200 his life expectancy is only slightly less than someone who does not have HIV. HIV has become a chronic treatable illness like diabetes and hypertension and people can expect to live a long time. Make sure he takes his medication and practice safe sex! Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

HIV TREATMENT
Hep B & HIV