diagnosed w/hep C

Happy you're here. I just got a positive hep C result.

I suspect hiv too.

I know infection occurred (through needle sharing ) 11 years ago.

I never knew what hep c was until now. I will continue to learn more so I can try to keep up w/ treatment (which i have not started)

I was tested 3 times over the years for hiv (the last time being 3 years ago)I know hep c and hiv are likely partners if you're infected through needles. I never tested positive for hiv. Should i re-test?

Why don't clinics test for both? Or suggest that you go for hep C testing......if it's a money thing?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I don't know why they don't check for both. You are much more likely to be infected with HCV when needle sharing than HIV!. Before you begin treatment for your HCV you should be tested again for HIV just to be sure, but it is unlikely if you have not engaged in any risky behaviours since your last test. You should certainly be tested for hepatitis A and B and vaccinated if you are not immune. Good luck! Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

Question regarding combinations
reaction to hepatitis vaccine